Connect with us

Politics

CBSE again extends deadline for scanned answer book requests till May 25

CBSE again extends deadline for scanned answer book requests till May 25

The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Sunday once again extended the deadline for students seeking scanned copies of their evaluated answer books for Class 12 board examinations, with the last date now revised to May 25 midnight.

Four public sector banks — State Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank and Indian Bank — will help CBSE. (HT_PRINT)
Four public sector banks — State Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank and Indian Bank — will help CBSE. (HT_PRINT)

The CBSE had earlier extended the deadline from May 22 to May 23, then till May 24, and has now further extended it till May 25 midnight amid complaints from students over difficulties in accessing scanned copies of answer books through the portal.

“In continuation of the circular dated 22.05.2026, and to provide adequate time to students for submitting requests to obtain scanned copies of their evaluated answer books, the last date has further been extended,” the board said in the circular.

The board advised candidates to make use of the extended timeline and submit their plications accordingly, while clarifying that “all other terms and conditions of the facility remain unchanged”.

“It is stated that the start date for accepting re-evaluation requests shall be communicated soon,” the circular said.

The CBSE had earlier begun the process for re-evaluation and verification of answer sheets following concerns raised by some students and parents over the On-Screen Marking system.

Earlier today, Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan spoke to Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and sought her ministry’s support to overhaul the CBSE payment gateway system, officials said.

During the discussion, it was decided that four public sector banks (PSBs) — the State Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank and Indian Bank — will assist the CBSE in strengthening its payment gateway infrastructure and the necessary integration with the post-examination portal, the education ministry said in a statement.

Pradhan has also directed to depute teams of professors and technical experts from IIT-Madras and IIT-Kanpur to examine all the technical issues reported since the rollout of this year’s re-evaluation services and assist the CBSE in ensuring a glitch-free process, the ministry said.

Pradhan has sought a detailed report from the CBSE over complaints of technical glitches faced by students and parents during the re-evaluation process, a source said on Saturday.

“Taking serious cognisance of complaints raised by students and parents over technical disruptions during the CBSE re-evaluation process, Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has sought a detailed report on server downtime, payment gateway glitches and operational lses,” the source said.

Officials have been directed to explain the reasons behind the technical failures, preparedness measures and accountability of agencies involved in managing the process, they added.

Continue Reading

Politics

Champions League: Keir Starmer urges TNT Sports to make final free-to-air

Champions League: Keir Starmer urges TNT Sports to make final free-to-air

Sir Keir Starmer has called on TNT Sports to make next Saturday’s Champions League final between Arsenal and Paris St-Germain free-to-air.

The UK prime minister has written to the broadcaster to “strongly urge you to reconsider” a decision to make the final available to subscribers only.

Every previous final since the Champions League format was introduced to the European Cup in 1992 has been made available to watch free of charge in the UK.

In a letter to TNT executives, Starmer wrote: “I was saddened to see that, for the first time since the competition started 34 years ago, TNT Sports has decided that [the fixture] will not be free to watch for football supporters here in the UK.”

Last week, it was revealed that fans would need a subscription to watch all three European club finals, to which TNT holds the rights.

Starmer – who is an Arsenal fan – wrote: “The Champions League is the biggest club football competition in the world and rightly means a lot to fans in this country – the home of football.

“I am a firm believer that the final of this competition should remain free to watch, whether Arsenal have made it or not.

“Obviously, I want as many fellow fans as possible to be able to watch our team in this historic final for the first time in 20 years. However, this is bigger than that.

“This is about supporters of all teams coming together in living rooms and pubs in every corner of the country to watch the most elite players in Europe battle it out.

“Hard-working people should not have to worry about forking out for a subscription to watch a game of this magnitude.

“We should be putting supporters first. That is why I have already encouraged Fifa to do more to make tickets more affordable at this summer’s World Cup.

“That is also why I want to strongly urge you to reconsider and make the final next Saturday free to watch for the millions of passionate football fans in this country.”

Fans wanting to watch Aston Villa win the Europa League final last week needed a subscription, and the same will ply to those wanting to watch the Conference League final between Crystal Palace and Rayo Vallecano on Wednesday.

In a statement, TNT Sports said: “It has been a privilege to bring Uefa club competitions to sports fans across the UK throughout the season.

“Having three Premier League clubs reach the finals shows the strength of English football and something that we are proud to continue to support.

“We have made all three Uefa finals this year available from just £4.99, the price for a month-long subscription to HBO Max that also includes the great entertainment on the service. This represents exceptional value for fans to watch the conclusion of the competitions.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Photos: Clashes in Belgrade as student-led protests challenge Vucic

Photos: Clashes in Belgrade as student-led protests challenge Vucic

Clashes have broken out between protesters and riot police after an antigovernment rally in the Serbian cital, Belgrade.

Large crowds of demonstrators poured into central Belgrade on Saturday, many carrying banners and wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the Students win motto of the youth movement that organised the gathering.

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic has sought to rein in mass demonstrations that have challenged his hardline rule in the Balkan country. The size of Saturday’s turnout suggested that dissent remains strong more than a year after protests first began with demonstrators demanding accountability for a train station tragedy in northern Serbia in November 2024 that killed 16 people.

Anticorruption protests forced then-Prime Minister Milos Vucevic to resign in January 2025 before the authorities moved to clamp down on the movement. Many in Serbia blamed the concrete canopy collse at the station on alleged corruption-fuelled negligence during renovation work carried out with Chinese companies.

On Saturday, Serbia’s state railway company cancelled all trains to and from Belgrade in what peared to be an effort to prevent at least some people from travelling to the cital from other parts of the country.

In a video posted on Instagram on Saturday, the president said protesters have shown their violent nature and that they cannot stand political opponents. Vucic, who was en route to China for a state visit, added: The state is functioning and will continue to work in line with the law.

Students on Saturday demanded early elections and the rule of law, accusing the government of crime and corruption. They said they now plan to challenge Vucic in this year’s elections, which they hope will unseat his right-wing populist government. Vucic said on Thursday that the parliamentary elections could be held between September and November.

Clashes were first reported near a park camp of Vucic loyalists outside the Serbian presidency building. The camp was set up before another large antigovernment rally last March as a human shield against protesters. Folk music blared from a fenced-off area surrounded by rows of riot police in full gear.

The Serbian president has come under international scrutiny for his hardline tactics against demonstrators over the past year, including arbitrary arrests and the use of excessive force. The Council of Europe’s commissioner for human rights, Michael O’Flaherty, criticised Serbia’s government in a report after he visited the country last week and said he will monitor the situation closely.

O’Flaherty also cited reports of police protecting unidentified and often masked attackers of journalists and protesters. He said the overall human rights situation has deteriorated since his previous visit in ril 2025.

Serbia is seeking to join the European Union while cultivating close ties with Russia and China. Democratic backsliding under Vucic could cost the country about 1.5 billion euros ($1.8bn) in EU funding, the bloc’s top enlargement official warned last month.

Continue Reading

Politics

Bengals Falta election: How Jahangir Khan of Trinamool, who backed out before repoll, is still getting votes as per EC

Bengals Falta election: How Jahangir Khan of Trinamool, who backed out before repoll, is still getting votes as per EC

As the Election Commission of India (ECI) counted the votes for the Falta assembly constituency repoll in West Bengal, Trinamool Congress (TMC) candidate Jahangir Khan continued to accumulate votes on the official results portal. And that’s despite Jahangir Khan publicly announcing withdrawal from the election contest earlier this week.

Jahangir Khan, 41, announced on May 19 that he was backing out of the May 21 repoll. (

The BJP’s Debangshu Panda was leading by a large margin after more than half the votes had been counted just after noon on May 24. Panda was getting 67% of the total votes. Sambhu Nath Kurmi of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) was in second place with around 23% votes, followed by Abdur Razzak Molla of the Congress at around 6%.

The TMC’s Jahangir Khan, who did not even cast his own vote in the repoll on may 21, was at over 3% despite his political exit from the contest.

Why Jahangir opted out

Jahangir Khan had announced his withdrawal from the election on May 19, just two days prior to the re-voting. He cited among his reasons the developmental promises made by Suvendu Adhikari, the new chief minister, Bengal’s first from the BJP after the party defeated an entrenched TMC.

The CM has announced a special package for the development of Falta, which is why I have decided to move away from the re-polling process in the constituency, said Khan, 41, a prominent Muslim businessman and political face in a Hindu-majority state where about third of the population is Muslim.

Not seeking to confront the Centre’s ruling BJP that had finally wrested power in Bengal, he explained at a press briefing, I am the son of Falta, and I want the area to be at peace and grow… I dreamt that Falta should become ‘sonar’ (golden) Falta. I am stepping aside to ensure peace and prosperity for Falta and for its people.

After Khan described his exit as a step toward the region’s growth, the TMC issued a clarification stating that the withdrawal was his personal decision and not authorised by the party.

Bengal has seen poll-related violence as the 15-year rule of Mamata Banerjee-led TMC ended with the results of 293 of the 294 assembly seats announced on May 4.

Falta was marked for repolling after reports of widespread pre-poll and voting-day violence, mainly by BJP supporters. Khan and IPS officer Ajay Pal Sharma, deputed as a police observer by the EC, had a face-off too as voters alleged the TMC cadres were putting black te on other names on the EVM.

Why he remained on EVM

But Khan’s public exit from the contest, after the May 4 results showed the BJP was anyway in power, was essentially a political announcement.

According to Section 37 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, a candidate is legally permitted to withdraw their nomination only up to a strictly specified deadline following the initial scrutiny of pers. Once that timeline expires, the final list of contesting candidates is legally locked.

For Phase 2 of the West Bengal assembly elections, which included the Falta constituency, the last date for the withdrawal of candidatures was ril 13. Because Jahangir Khan announced his decision to step away on May 19, weeks after this statutory deadline, his name and symbol could not legally be removed from the ballot.

After the EC ordered the May 21 fresh election across all 285 booths in Falta following reports of “severe electoral offences and subversion of the democratic process” during the original ril 29 phase, the rules remained that such a repoll must be conducted with the same candidate roster and machine configuration as the initial polling.

Jahangir Khan wielded significant control over the grassroots party cadre in the South 24 Parganas district, making him the party’s choice as a new candidate after it won the last three elections here plus a bypoll.

Because his name and the two-flower symbol of the TMC remained on the EVM, voters who went to the polls still had the option to press it. Whether done by loyal party supporters who chose to vote for the TMC anyway, or by those unaware of his political announcement, or some indifferent people, every press of that button is a legally valid vote and has to be counted.

Continue Reading

Politics

US police responding to dozens of shots fired near the White House

US police responding to dozens of shots fired near the White House

Secret Service investigating reported gunfire, with Al Jazeera correspondent saying more than 30 shots heard from North Lawn.

US law enforcement agencies are responding to reports of more than 30 gunshots fired near the White House.

A suspect is down and was transported to George Washington Hospital, an unnamed law enforcement official told the news agency on Saturday. He did not ⁠specify the suspect’s condition ⁠or how he was brought down.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The Associated Press news agency reported that the Secret Service shot a person near the White House, and that a bystander was also shot, according to an unidentified law enforcement official.

Both people were said to be in critical condition, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the investigation.

President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time. Police cordoned off access to the White House, and National Guard troops blocked reporters from entering the area in downtown Washington, DC.

The House Republicans said Trump was safe in a post on X.

Al Jazeera’s Kimberly Halkett, reporting from Washington, DC, said more than 30 shots were heard from the White House North Lawn.

Journalists who were on the North Lawn at the time said they were ordered to run and shelter in the press briefing room.

While this has not been confirmed by the White House, bystanders and US media report a suspect proached the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, reported Halkett.

There, the suspect allegedly opened fire on the Secret Service security perimeter. An agent was stationed in the area, along with six or more Secret Service vehicles, conducting identification checks.

In a social media post, FBI Director Kash Patel said officers were responding to shots being fired and that he would update the public as we’re able.

Following the incident, Steven Cheung, the White House communications director, posted on X: President Trump is working at 8 p.m. Can’t stop, won’t stop.

The gunfire on Saturday comes nearly a month after what law enforcement authorities said was an attempted assassination of the president as he attended the annual White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner at a Washington, DC, hotel on ril 25.

Continue Reading

Politics

Scrap income tax on overtime hours, says Reform UK

Scrap income tax on overtime hours, says Reform UK

Helen Miller from the Institute of Fiscal Studies said the Reform proposal was “problematic in principle and practice”, and “if the intention is to increase labour supply, it is not clear why an incentive should be targeted at increasing the hours of employees already working at least 40 hours a week”.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Video20 minutes ago

Emotional Kyle Busch fans speak on the driver's legacy

Emotional fans gathered in Concord, North Carolina, ahead of Sunday's Coca-Cola 600 to share their memories of Kyle Busch …

Video25 minutes ago

Women in Afghanistan erased from public life under Taliban regime | BBC News

The reality for millions of women in Afghanistan is that they have been erased from public life. There is a...

HealthNews1 hour ago

Take Solutions’ forays in the longevity, antiaging market

Mumbai. Technology driven healthcare solutions provider Take Solutions Limited, on Friday, announced its strategic entry into India’s burgeoning longevity- and...

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce lead NBA playoffs celebrity sightings Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce lead NBA playoffs celebrity sightings
Sports1 hour ago

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce lead NBA playoffs celebrity sightings

May 23, 2026, 08:30 PM ET The stars are out at the 2026 NBA playoffs. Here are some of the...

Today's NYT Connections Hints, Answers and Help for May 25, #1079 Today's NYT Connections Hints, Answers and Help for May 25, #1079
Tech2 hours ago

Today's NYT Connections Hints, Answers and Help for May 25, #1079

Looking for the most recent Connections answers? Click here for today’s Connections hints, as well as our daily answers and...

Officials say possible crack in unstable chemical tank may relieve pressure at aerospace plant Officials say possible crack in unstable chemical tank may relieve pressure at aerospace plant
UsaLocalNews3 hours ago

Officials say possible crack in unstable chemical tank may relieve pressure at aerospace plant

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Crews responding to the chemical emergency at a Southern California aerospace facility...

Video3 hours ago

Can Trump’s brazen pursuit of WH enrichment be stopped? | Fareed’s Take

CNN's Fareed Zakaria compares Donald Trump's first term in office to his second, less-constrained presidency. Without the …

Video3 hours ago

Negotiations towards a deal with Iran are ‘constructive’ says Trump | BBC News

Donald Trump says negotiations towards a deal with Iran are 'constructive' but both sides must take their time to get...

Star Wars “The Mandalorian and Grogu has big opening weekends” Star Wars “The Mandalorian and Grogu has big opening weekends”
Entertainment4 hours ago

Star Wars “The Mandalorian and Grogu has big opening weekends”

Star Wars showed it still had the Force after a seven-year hiatus from the theaters. The latest installment “The Mandalorian...

CBSE again extends deadline for scanned answer book requests till May 25 CBSE again extends deadline for scanned answer book requests till May 25
Politics5 hours ago

CBSE again extends deadline for scanned answer book requests till May 25

The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Sunday once again extended the deadline for students seeking scanned copies of...

Trending News

Join Our Newsletter

Stay updated with breaking news and exclusive content.