Connect with us

BBC News World

Authorities investigate safety failures after China coal mining blast kills atleast 82

Authorities investigate safety failures after China coal mining blast kills atleast 82


Authorities were investigating safety failures in a coal mine operator in northern China, while rescuers looked for the missing from the country’s deadliest coal mine explosion that occurred in recent years and killed at least 80 people. Subscribe to this story to enjoy it ad free

The province of inland

, southwest of Beijing, with a population of proximately 34 million people, is China’s primary coal-mining region. Residents say that the village Shangzhuang lies just a few hundred meters from the coal mine. Some of the miners working at the site, as well as some of those killed, reside there. The village is centered around a single street, which is used by mining trucks. Two-story houses with some red-tiled roofing are on both sides. Some of the houses are divided into different rooms and rented by people, including miners. Residents reported that, after the gas explosion, the other mines around the area were shut down, and some workers left while others stayed back to await their wages. Wang Linjun said that he was home at the time of the explosion. He told the that “my heart is very heavy.” “No one can feel good about the fact that people who have worked together and eaten together for years are suddenly gone.” Wang told . He does not wish to continue working, but he is unsure of his next step. Miners are paid up to 10,000 yuan (1,500 dollars) per month. Feng Renfu said that he, too, was a Liushenyu miner and he had been working in the pit adjacent to the accident. Feng Renfu, also a miner at Liushenyu, said that he was working underground in a pit next to the one where the accident took place.

My father is more than 80 years old and is worried about my well-being. Feng says that he always calls to see if I’m doing well and safe at work. There are eight people who depend on me. Liushenyu coal mine Safety lses were investigated.

According to local officials, the coal mine violated the laws “seriously”, but they didn’t elaborate. CCTV, China’s national broadcaster, reported that the blueprints supplied by the Liushenyu mine did not match up with the actual layout. This hampered the rescue efforts. State media announced that those responsible for the accident had been “put under control”. On Sunday, the People’s Daily published a commentary urging all regions and departments “to always keep safety in mind.” A more extensive inspection of coal mining could affect the province’s cacity to produce 1.3 billion tons of coal annually, which is nearly a third China’s total. Last year, China’s coal production reached 4.8 billion tons. China is still reliant on coal. In the last few years, authorities have taken measures to increase safety. In 2024, China’s National Mine Safety Administration placed the Liushenyu coal mine, run by the private Shanxi Tongzhou Group, on its national list of mines that are prone to disaster.

Continue Reading

BBC News World

Machado announces she will run for the presidency again in Venezuela and plans to return before the end 2026. Subscribe to read the story without ads

Machado announces she will run for the presidency again in Venezuela and plans to return before the end 2026. Subscribe to read the story without ads


Get access to exclusive content and articles that are ad-free. Machado made her remarks while meeting with other Venezuelan opposition leaders in Panama. This was more than four months ago, after the White House decided to ignore Machado and work instead with a Venezuelan loyalist of the ruling party following the U.S. Military’s cture then-President Nicolas Maduro. Machado is in exile from December when she left Venezuela after 11 months of hiding and went to Norway, where she received the Nobel Prize. She said to reporters in Panama City, “We are committed to a democracy transition through free and fair elections where all Venezuelans, inside and outside of the country, vote.” U.S. President Donald Trump, and senior administration officials, have praised Maduro’s replacement, acting President Delcy Gonzalez, who has opened Venezuela’s petroleum industry to U.S. investments at a time when oil prices, tied to the Iran war, are on the rise. María Corina Machado Trump has also stopped talking about elections in Venezuela, which must be held within 30 calendar days after the president is declared “permanently unavailable” by Venezuela’s Constitution. The changes that are needed include neutral election authorities, updated voting registration and the freedom of opposition candidates running for office without interference from the government. Machado became Maduro’s biggest opponent in recent times, but her government barred from running for office at the 2024 presidential elections, so she chose retired ambassador Edmundo Gómez Urrutia, to represent her. Machado’s organized campaign collected evidence that Gonzalez defeated Maduro more than 2-to-1. Officials loyal the ruling party announced Maduro was the winner only hours after the polls had closed. Machado said to reporters on Saturday that she would be running against any other presidential candidate in an “impeccable election.” “I would be hpy to compete with everyone who wants to run for office.”

Continue Reading

BBC News World

Special Report: Secret Service kill man who opened fire outside of White House

Special Report: Secret Service kill man who opened fire outside of White House

Special Visit For Trump

Continue Reading

BBC News World

Chemical tank on the brink of explosion in California as crews attempt to avert disaster

Chemical tank on the brink of explosion in California as crews attempt to avert disaster


On Saturday, firefighters in Southern California were cooling a tank that was “literally on edge” of blowing up as they attempted to avoid a potentially disastrous “worst” scenario. Subscribe to this story to enjoy it ad free

have been reported from Garden Grove, California and parts of nearby cities include loss in valve control and rising temperatures inside the tank, which has already reached a volatile range of 90-100 degrees Fahrenheit. He said that these temperatures could be the beginning of a “thermal explosion” if they continue to rise. “We are literally at the edge,” he said. An Orange County Fire Authority Firefighter tells a photogrher that he must evacuate the GKN Aerospace site in Garden Grove on Friday. Allen J. Schaben/ Los Angeles Times, via . On Saturday, firefighters continued to cool the facility with sprinklers. They hope the process will cause the chemical to “cure” and slow down its heating enough to prevent a blast. Covey warned that a “worst scenario” could see the three tanks, including a 4,500 gallon tank, explode. The OCFA stated in a press release that the hazmat event began with a “vor leak” from the 7,000-gallon storage tank at the facility. Covey explained that first responders from GKN Aerospace could have measured incorrect temperatures because they were taking them outside the 1-inch thick steel wall of the tanks. On Saturday morning, firemen got dangerously near the stored chemicals, and they discovered that they could measure an internal temperature much higher than anything they had seen before, Covey said. Covey stated that the new assessment showed tank temperatures increasing from 77 degrees to 90 degrees, an increase of about 1 degree per hour on Saturday afternoon. “We’re trying to mitigate this,” he said. “The worst-case situation is that fireball.” Covey stated that officials are developing contingency plans. These include the possibility of preventing the chemical from entering storm drains and efforts to “dike it, dam it, and divert” it if this hpens. Covey told reporters that the situation was serious. This is real.

Orange County health officer Dr. Regina Chinsio Kwong said that those outside of the evacuation zone will not face any health risks. However, she warned at a Friday news conference that the incident was “a unique situation”. The emergency evacuation centre at Freedom Hall in Fountain Valley was set up on Saturday for residents living near the GKN Aerospace Transparency buildings. Allen J. Schaben/ Los Angeles Times via .

Garden Grove has been ordered to evacuate, along with the nearby cities of Cypress, Stanton Anaheim Buena Park, Westminster and Cypress. Amir El-Farra of the Garden Grove Police Department said on Friday that these orders affect about 40,000 people. Newsom’s emergency declaration opens up additional state resources like state-owned properties or fairgrounds to be used for sheltering evacuees.

Continue Reading

BBC News World

Trump says agreement on Iran war ‘largely negotiated’

Trump says agreement on Iran war ‘largely negotiated’

Trump To It To Colonel Trump NBC News’ Raf Sanchez reports. The

Continue Reading

BBC News World

Kyle Busch’s family

Kyle Busch’s family


said that the NASCAR icon Kyle Busch died from severe pneumonia. Subscribe to read the story without ads

The racing community, celebrities and his fans paid him a tribute after he died.

“Kyle was a future Hall of Famer. He was a rare and unique talent. It is only one that pears once every generation.” He was passionate, fierce and extremely talented. He cared about the sport, his fans and Richard Childress racing, according to the Busch Family, NASCAR and Richard Childress. The statement said that “NASCAR had lost a great champion of the sport far too soon.” The l 18 pylon, the number of the car he drove, will be lit up in his honor at the Indianolis 500 on Sunday. Busch leaves behind his parents, his wife Samantha, son Brexton, 11, and daughter Lennix 4, as well as his wife Samantha. In their short statement made on Saturday, Busch family members asked for privacy. 911 call obtained by NBC News.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Video1 hour ago

Emotional Kyle Busch fans speak on the driver's legacy

Emotional fans gathered in Concord, North Carolina, ahead of Sunday's Coca-Cola 600 to share their memories of Kyle Busch …

Video1 hour ago

Women in Afghanistan erased from public life under Taliban regime | BBC News

The reality for millions of women in Afghanistan is that they have been erased from public life. There is a...

HealthNews2 hours ago

Take Solutions’ forays in the longevity, antiaging market

Mumbai. Technology driven healthcare solutions provider Take Solutions Limited, on Friday, announced its strategic entry into India’s burgeoning longevity- and...

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce lead NBA playoffs celebrity sightings Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce lead NBA playoffs celebrity sightings
Sports2 hours ago

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce lead NBA playoffs celebrity sightings

May 23, 2026, 08:30 PM ET The stars are out at the 2026 NBA playoffs. Here are some of the...

Today's NYT Connections Hints, Answers and Help for May 25, #1079 Today's NYT Connections Hints, Answers and Help for May 25, #1079
Tech3 hours ago

Today's NYT Connections Hints, Answers and Help for May 25, #1079

Looking for the most recent Connections answers? Click here for today’s Connections hints, as well as our daily answers and...

Officials say possible crack in unstable chemical tank may relieve pressure at aerospace plant Officials say possible crack in unstable chemical tank may relieve pressure at aerospace plant
UsaLocalNews3 hours ago

Officials say possible crack in unstable chemical tank may relieve pressure at aerospace plant

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! Crews responding to the chemical emergency at a Southern California aerospace facility...

Video3 hours ago

Can Trump’s brazen pursuit of WH enrichment be stopped? | Fareed’s Take

CNN's Fareed Zakaria compares Donald Trump's first term in office to his second, less-constrained presidency. Without the …

Video4 hours ago

Negotiations towards a deal with Iran are ‘constructive’ says Trump | BBC News

Donald Trump says negotiations towards a deal with Iran are 'constructive' but both sides must take their time to get...

Star Wars “The Mandalorian and Grogu has big opening weekends” Star Wars “The Mandalorian and Grogu has big opening weekends”
Entertainment5 hours ago

Star Wars “The Mandalorian and Grogu has big opening weekends”

Star Wars showed it still had the Force after a seven-year hiatus from the theaters. The latest installment “The Mandalorian...

CBSE again extends deadline for scanned answer book requests till May 25 CBSE again extends deadline for scanned answer book requests till May 25
Politics6 hours ago

CBSE again extends deadline for scanned answer book requests till May 25

The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Sunday once again extended the deadline for students seeking scanned copies of...

Trending News

Join Our Newsletter

Stay updated with breaking news and exclusive content.