Connect with us

Politics

UK agrees £3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states

UK agrees £3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states

Politics

Iran says surrender to US an illusion, diplomacy far wiser than war

Live updates,

Israeli attacks have killed 3,073 people across Lebanon since March, according to Lebanese Health Ministry.

Published On 21 May 2026

  • Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian says that “all paths” to a diplomatic solution “remain open from our side”, but warns that “forcing Iran to surrender through coercion is nothing but an illusion”.
  • Global condemnation is growing after Israel’s far-right national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, posted a video of himself taunting abducted Gaza aid flotilla activists as they were being mistreated by Israeli prison guards.

Continue Reading

Politics

Health secy reviews Ebola preparedness with states, says no case in India so far

Union health secretary held a high-level review meeting with the states on Wednesday to assess preparedness and response measures regarding the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), according to people familiar with the matter.

During the meeting, states and UTs were advised to ensure readiness at all levels.

The health secretary, Punya Salila Srivastava, discussed the measures with health secretaries of all states and Union Territories.

The health ministry reiterated that no case of EVD has been reported in India so far. However, following the declaration of Ebola as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) by the World Health Organization (WHO), the government has proactively strengthened surveillance and preparedness measures across the country as an abundant precaution.

During the meeting, states and Union Territories (UTs) were advised to ensure readiness at all levels.

Detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine protocols, case management, referral mechanisms, and laboratory testing have already been shared with all states and UTs.

“The health secretary emphasized the importance of coordinated surveillance, timely reporting, and preparedness of designated health facilities. All ministries and departments concerned have also been sensitised and are undertaking appropriate preventive and surveillance measures in coordination with the health ministry,” an official, requesting anonymity, said.

The ministry reiterated that India has prior experience in handling such situations effectively, including during the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa, when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully.

So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), although WHO said it was aware that the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger.

Uganda has also informed WHO of two confirmed cases in the capital, Kampala, including one death, among two individuals who travelled from DRC to Uganda.

“The government of India remains fully vigilant and prepared to respond swiftly to any emerging situation. Citizens are advised that there is no cause for panic, while continuing to follow official advisories and updates issued by health authorities,” senior health ministry official cited above said.

Continue Reading

Politics

UK waters down new Russian oil sanctions as fuel prices rise

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump-critic Thomas Massie loses Kentucky primary to AIPAC-backed Gallrein

!function(e,t,a,n,r){e[n]=e[n]||[],e[n].push({“gtm.start”:(new Date).getTime(),event:”gtm.js”});var g=t.getElementsByTagName(a)[0],m=t.createElement(a);m.defer=!0,m.src=”

Trump-critic Thomas Massie loses Kentucky primary to AIPAC-backed Ed Gallrein

NewsFeed

Congressman Thomas Massie, one of the most outspoken Republicans against Trump, has lost the Kentucky primary election to former Navy SEAL Ed Gallrein who was heavily endorsed and funded by pro-Israel lobby groups and Trump supporters.

Published On 20 May 2026

Continue Reading

Politics

SC refuses to entertain PIL for protection, audit of Sikh religious properties

New Delhi, The Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to entertain a PIL seeking a slew of directions for protection, audit and regulation of Sikh religious and heritage properties across the country.

SC refuses to entertain PIL for protection, audit of Sikh religious properties

A bench comprising Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi asked petitioner Charanjeet Singh, who appeared in person and argued his case, to raise his grievances before the Parliamentary Petitions Committee.

Singh, who was also attached to a Delhi Sikh body, at one point bowed before the bench and urged it to issue notice. “I bow before you. Please issue a notice on my petition,” Singh said.

The CJI said while the doors of the court are always open, the relief sought fell within the legislative domain.

“The court is here for you; you may come whenever you wish. But these issues require amendments to the law, for which you must go to Parliament. You should approach the Petition Committee of Parliament,” the CJI said.

“If we step in, it might appear as though there is interference in religious matters,” the CJI said, while granting the petitioner the liberty to return to the Supreme Court if he remains dissatisfied with the parliamentary response.

The PIL sought a sweeping overhaul of how Sikh religious and heritage properties are managed across the country.

“Issue a writ of mandamus directing the Union of India to constitute a National Khalsayi Sikh Heritage Protection Authority for identification, preservation, audit and protection of all Khalsayi Sikh heritage properties across India,” it said.

It also sought a direction to all state governments and the UTs to prepare and submit to the court a “complete inventory of all Sikh religious, historical and endowment properties within their respective jurisdictions, including details of ownership, lease, transfer and encroachments”.

It also sought a direction to the Comptroller and Auditor General of India to conduct a special audit of all statutory bodies, boards, committees and trusts managing Sikh religious properties.

It also sought a direction to the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate to inquire into cases “involving large-scale illegal alienation, undervaluation, misappropriation or laundering of proceeds derived from Sikh heritage properties.”

This article was generated from an automated news agency feed without modifications to text.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Video17 minutes ago

US doctor who narrowly survived Ebola talks new deadly outbreak

Erin Burnett talks to Dr. Kent Brantly, an American who contracted Ebola while treating patients in 2014. Dr. Brantly says...

Video33 minutes ago

Two women claim they were raped during “Married At First Sight UK”

Two women have claimed they were raped during “Married At First Sight UK,” and a third said she was subjected...

Video48 minutes ago

Thunderstorms cause flash flooding in NYC

Flash flooding submerged multiple vehicles across parts of Queens and Brooklyn in New York City after torrential downpours …

Video1 hour ago

Acting AG defends Trump's compensation fund

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche made clear to CNN's Paula Reid that the conduct of January 6, 2021, rioters who...

Video2 hours ago

Amanpour on NYT’s exclusive about Israeli-US plan for Iran's leader

Christiane Amanpour reacts to a New York Times report that the US and Israel considered installing former Iranian President …

Video2 hours ago

Gas prices: Trump says ‘peanuts’. Could they hit all-time Memorial Day high?

The sticker shock on Memorial Day, the unofficial start of the summer driving season, adds to the cost-of-living frustrations that...

Entertainment2 hours ago

Michael Jackson’s new documentary The Verdict delves deep into his 2005 trial. Michael Jackson: the Verdict is a three-part documentary that will premiere on Netflix June 3. It features archive footage and interviews of key players in the case, including jurors and figures from the prosecution and defense, as well as journalists who were present inside the courtroom, and other eyewitnesses. It has been 20 Years since Michael Jackson’s trial, in which he wasn’t found guilty. Even today, the controversy continues.”

It was time for a comprehensive look at the entire trial. The Santa Barbara Superior Court case lasted for 14...

Video3 hours ago

Cars stuck in flash flood as heavy rain hits Atlanta

Cars became stuck in floodwaters during rush hour after heavy rainfall hit Atlanta, Georgia, on Wednesday.

Video4 hours ago

Raul Castro indicted for multiple criminal charges

Raul Castro has been indicted on multiple charges stemming from the deaths of 3 Americans in 1996. The Cuban government...

BBC News World4 hours ago

DOJ charges former federal prosecutor with sending herself confidential documents from

mishandled classifed documents. Subscribe to this story for free special counsel Jack Smith’s investigation of allegations that President Donald Trump...

Trending News

Join Our Newsletter

Stay updated with breaking news and exclusive content.