UsaLocalNews
Ukraine bolsters border security as Russia says nuclear munitions sent to Belarus for exercises
Kyiv — Ukraine is implementing “enhanced security measures in the northern regions” near its border with Belarus as Russia holds joint nuclear drills with its close ally, for which Moscow says “nuclear munitions were delivered” to field storage facilities.
Kyiv announced the heightened security posture along its northern border Thursday after warning for weeks of a possible fresh attack coming from Belarus, Russia’s chief regional ally.
Kyiv has sounded the alarm that Russia may use Belarus — which it used as a springboard to launch its ongoing, full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 — to stage a new offensive from the north, including toward the cital Kyiv.
Ukraine’s Security Service (SBU) said its units and the army were “carrying out a comprehensive set of enhanced security measures in the northern regions of our country.”
CBS News
The measures — including stepped up checks and controls of individuals and properties — “will serve as an effective deterrent to any aggressive actions or operations by the enemy and its ally,” the SBU said in a statement.
The Kremlin on Monday dismissed Ukrainian allegations that it wanted to drag Belarus further into the war as “an attempt at further incitement.”
But on Thursday, Russia’s Defense Ministry said in a statement that, “as part of the nuclear forces exercise” taking place with Belarus, “nuclear munitions were delivered to the field storage facilities of the [Russian] missile brigade’s position” in the country.
RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTRY/
A video posted Thursday on social media by Belarus’ Ministry of Defense, which peared to have been created by the Russian Defense Ministry, showed a truck driving through a forest and unloading an item said to be related to the nuclear munitions.
Russia’s military said the missile brigade in Belarus was carrying out training to receive munitions for mobile Iskander-M tactical missile launch systems, including exercises in loading munitions onto launch vehicles and moving them clandestinely in preparation for a hypothetical launch.
RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTRY/Handout/
Speaking Wednesday, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said the alliance was monitoring the Russian-Belorussian exercises and warned that it’s reaction to any Russian nuclear attack would be “devastating,” according to the Kyiv Independent.
There has been little significant change in the trajectory of the war, now well into its fifth year, in recent months, though Ukrainian forces — taking advantage of drone warfare technology — have, according to multiple reports, managed to at least slow the rate of Russia’s encroachment.
A Wall Street Journal report published this week argued that Ukraine had in fact “wrestled Russia’s much-larger army almost to a halt in recent months, having gained a tactical and technological edge,” but it cautioned that it was too soon to declare the war had reached “a strategic turning point.”
UsaLocalNews
Brooklyn mother who drowned her three children in the ocean near Coney Island sentenced to decades in prison
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A Brooklyn woman who drowned her three children in the Atlantic Ocean near Coney Island’s famous boardwalk will spend decades behind bars.
Erin Merdy, 34, was sentenced Wednesday after pleading guilty earlier this year to first-degree murder charges in the 2022 deaths of her 7-year-old son Zachary, her 4-year-old daughter Liliana and her 3-month-old son Oliver.
“No sentence can fully measure the loss of a seven-year-old, a four-year-old and a three-month-old baby, or the grief their loved ones will carry forever,” Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said in a statement.
“We sought the strongest possible accountability in this devastating case, and while nothing can bring these children back, this sentence ensures the defendant will be held responsible for taking their lives,” he added.
JUDGE SENTENCES NEVADA MOM FOR DROWNING YOUNG SON, DAUGHTER: ‘I WILL REMEMBER YOUR CASE FOREVER’
New York Police investigators examine a stretch of beach at Coney Island where three children were found dead in the surf, Sept. 12, 2022, in New York. ( Photo/Joseph Frederick)
Gonzalez said the children’s lives were taken “in the most heartbreaking and unthinkable way.”
The children were found the morning of Sept. 12, 2022, after one of Merdy’s relatives called 911 expressing concern the children might be in danger.
Prosecutors said Merdy left the beach around 1:25 a.m. and began walking toward the artment of the father of her youngest child.
COLLEGE STUDENT ACCUSED OF LETTING NEWBORN DROWN – POLICE REVEAL PHONE PHOTOS OF ‘HATED MOM’ CASEY ANTHONY
The children of Erin Merdy, 30, were found unconscious near the shoreline of Coney Island Beach during a frantic overnight search early Monday, Sept. 12, 2022. (Theodore Parisienne/New York Daily News/Tribune News Service via )
Authorities later found Merdy barefoot and soaking wet about two miles from where the children were discovered.
According to prosecutors, Merdy repeatedly said the children were gone and that she was sorry.
The children’s bodies were recovered hours later along the shoreline just steps from the boardwalk.
MELODEE BUZZARD’S GRANDMOTHER SHREDS POSSIBLE INSANITY DEFENSE FOR ACCUSED KILLER MOM: ‘PLANNED EVERYTHING’
A Brooklyn woman was sentenced to decades in prison in connection with the drowning deaths of her three children. (Theodore Parisienne/New York Daily News/Tribune News Service via )
The city medical examiner ruled the deaths homicides caused by drowning.
Prosecutors said surveillance video showed Merdy walking toward the ocean with the children shortly before 1 a.m.
Merdy’s mother told the New York Daily News at the time that her daughter had recently struggled with mental health issues and may have been experiencing postpartum depression.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS P
“I reached out to her yesterday and she said she was doing laundry and I said I wanted to speak to the kids,” Jacqueline Scott, 56, told the outlet. “I tried to call her twice on the phone after that and there was no answer.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
UsaLocalNews
DOJ charges ex-prosecutor with emailing secret Jack Smith report to herself under file name Bundt Cake Recipe
A former federal prosecutor was charged this week with emailing herself a report on the Justice Department’s investigation into President Trump that a judge had kept under lock and key.
Carmen Lineberger was indicted Tuesday on two counts of theft of government property, plus counts of concealing and removing a public record and altering a public record. She was arraigned Wednesday and pleaded not guilty.
The charges focus on a report penned by former Justice Department special counsel Jack Smith, whose team charged Mr. Trump with trying to overturn his 2020 election loss and allegedly mishandling classified documents. The election-related parts of the report were released in mid-January 2025, but a week later, U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon blockedformer Attorney General Merrick Garland “or his successor(s)” from releasing the portion on classified documents, known as “Volume II.”
The indictment does not specify what, if anything, Lineberger allegedly planned to do with the documents.
Lineberger’s attorney declined to comment.
The Volume II report at the center of Tuesday’s indictment was compiled after Smith charged Mr. Trump in 2023 with retaining sensitive government documents from his first term and storing them at Mar-a-Lago. The then-former president and two employees were also charged with conspiracy to obstruct a federal investigation. Mr. Trump has long denied wrongdoing and cast the investigation — which included an FBI search of Mar-a-Lago — as politically motivated.
Cannon dismissed the indictment in 2024 on the grounds that Smith was unlawfully pointed. Then, one day after Mr. Trump was sworn in for his second term, Cannon said the Justice Department cannot release or share Smith’s report on the probe, on the grounds that it could unfairly prejudice the two Trump staffers whose criminal cases remained open.
Cannon did not prevent the Justice Department from releasing Volume I of Smith’s report, which focused on Mr. Trump’s efforts to remain in office after losing in 2020. The charges against Mr. Trump hit a roadblock in mid-2024 after the Supreme Court ruled the president has immunity for official acts, and the case was dismissed after Mr. Trump won back the presidency. Smith argued in Volume I that Mr. Trump would have been convicted if not for his return to office.
UsaLocalNews
DNA cracks 40-year cold case mystery with arrest in library workers savage slaying: police
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Nearly four decades to the exact date a 22-year-old Virginia woman was murdered, authorities have announced an arrest in the cold case.
Charles Berry, 66, of Newington, Connecticut, was taken into custody Monday in connection with the 1986 re and murder of Roberta Walls, the Newington Police Department said in a statement.
The arrest was made in coordination with the Virginia Beach Police Department (VBPD), which issued an arrest warrant for charges related to the Virginia Beach homicide, police said.
The case began on May 15, 1986, when Walls’ body was discovered in a field behind Old Donation Elementary School, according to VBPD.
SEND US A TIP HERE
Roberta Walls was murdered in Virginia Beach, Va., on May 15, 1986, according to the Virginia Beach Police Department. (Virginia Beach Police Department)
Authorities previously said 22-year-old Walls was found “with obvious signs of trauma due to a violent assault.”
FOLLOW THE FOX TRUE CRIME TEAM ON X
She suffered multiple stab wounds and had been red during the attack, WAVY-TV reported.
LISTEN TO THE NEW ‘CRIME & JUSTICE WITH DONNA ROTUNNO’ PODCAST
Charles Berry, 66, of Newington, Connecticut, was taken into custody Monday in connection with the 1986 re and murder of Roberta Walls, the Newington Police Department said in a statement. (Newington Police Department)
Police previously revealed she was last seen alive at the Bayside Public Library the night before her murder, which is located across the street from where her body was discovered.
COLD CASE BREAKTHROUGH SOLVES TEEN KILLING AFTER SUSPECT LIVED FREE FOR DECADES: ‘BETTER BE AFRAID’
Roberta Walls’ body was discovered in a field behind Old Donation Elementary School, according to the Virginia Beach Police Department. (Google Ms)
Walls reportedly was an employee at the library and was leaving work to meet with friends when she dispeared.
LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? FIND MORE ON THE TRUE CRIME HUB
SIGN UP TO GET TRUE CRIME NEWSLETTER
Following his arrest, Berry was transported to the New Britain Superior Court in Connecticut on Tuesday as he awaits extradition, according to authorities.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS P
He was subsequently indicted by a grand jury “in connection to Robert Walls’ [murder],” FOX 61 reported. His bail has been set at $2 million by the Connecticut court.
Fox News Digital reached out to the Virginia Beach Police Department for comment.
UsaLocalNews
Assistant principal did nothing when told about 6-year-old with gun, prosecutor says
The assistant principal of a Virginia elementary school where a 6-year-old studentshot his teacher in 2023 “did nothing” about the fact he had a gun, despite receiving repeated warnings from colleagues, a prosecutor said in court Tuesday.
Before the January 2023 shooting at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, school employees told Ebony Parker they believed the student had a gun in his backpack, but she dismissed their concerns, said special prosecutor Josh Jenkins. Parker is now facing eight counts of felony child neglect for her role in the incident, which wounded first grade teacher Abby Zwerner.
During the trial’s opening statements, Jenkins said Parker told the employees who proached her about the child’s gun that his mother would be arriving soon to pick him up for the day.
“Does she say ‘search the child’? No,” Jenkins told the jury. “Does she say ‘call the police,’ or does she call the police? No. Does she remove the child from the classroom and separate him? No.
“She didn’t even get up from her desk. She didn’t leave her office. Warning after warning after warning, she did nothing.”
But Parker’s attorney, Curtis Rogers, said teachers should have done something if they believed a gun was present, saying they should have at least separated the child from about 19 other students in the classroom.
“That did not occur,” Rogers said. “Each one of those individuals had the authority to move those classmates.”
Peter Casey/The Virginian-Pilot via , Pool
Rogers said the prosecution must prove Parker’s actions showed a reckless disregard for human life. Instead, Rogers placed the blame on Zwerner and others who had witnessed the child’s movements long before the shooting.
“What about these other people who had direct contact with this child?” Rogers said.
School policy at the time required crisis situations to be reported to an administrator who is required to take action, Jenkins said. A school counselor even asked for permission to search the child but Parker denied the request because searches could only be conducted by an administrator or a security officer. The school’s security officer was away at another school at the time.
That left Parker and the school’s principal with the authority to act, but the principal knew nothing about the threat because Parker did not tell her about it, Jenkins said.
“There was only one person in the school that day that had both the authority to act and the knowledge of the ongoing crisis, and that person, you will see, was Dr. Parker,” Jenkins said.
Zwerner was the first witness called to testify in the trial. She said the student had slammed her phone to the ground a few days earlier and was in a “violent” mood the day of the shooting.
During recess on the school playground, the student wore an oversized jacket with both of his hands in his pockets the entire time. Zwerner said she sent a text message with that observation to a reading specialist who had been tipped off earlier by students about the gun and reported it to Parker.
The eight counts Parker faces include one for each of the bullets in the gun brought into the classroom, prosecutors have said. Each count carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison upon conviction.
Criminal charges against school officials after a school shooting are quite rare, experts say. The shooting sent shock waves through this military shipbuilding community and the country at large, with many wondering how a child so young could gain access to a gun and shoot his teacher.
A jury awarded $10 million to Zwerner in a civil trial last November in which Parker, who no longer works at the school, was the only defendant.
The student’s mother was sentenced to nearly four years in prison for felony child neglect and federal weons charges.
UsaLocalNews
DHS blasts California sanctuary policies after jail releases illegal immigrant accused in hit-and-run
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Federal immigration officials blasted California’s sanctuary policies Tuesday after U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents arrested an illegal immigrant accused of critically injuring a 4-year-old boy in a hit-and-run crash.
Aman Kumar, an Indian national living in the U.S. illegally, was arrested by ICE on May 13 after previously being released from local custody.
According to the Fresno Sheriff’s Department, Kumar was initially arrested last month after allegedly being involved in a hit-and-run crash. He was charged with felony hit-and-run causing death or injury.
Police said Kumar was driving a vehicle that struck a 4-year-old boy in Fresno, California, KSEE reported.
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT TRUCKER ACCUSED IN FATAL CALIFORNIA CRASH RELEASED BY BIDEN ADMIN AFTER 2022 BORDER CROSSING
ICE agents arrested an illegal immigrant accused in a California hit-and-run crash that injured a 4-year-old boy, federal officials said. (Frederic Brown/)
The child had been playing on a swing set in a nearby backyard before leaving through a gate and entering the roadway, authorities said.
Investigators said several vehicles stopped after seeing the child in the street, but Kumar allegedly drove around the stopped traffic using the bike lane before hitting the boy.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said the child was hospitalized in critical but stable condition and is expected to survive.
TRUMP ADMIN URGES NEWSOM TO HONOR ICE DETAINERS FOR MORE THAN 33K CRIMINAL ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS
Aman Kumar was arrested by ICE after authorities accused him of causing a hit-and-run crash that critically injured a 4-year-old boy in Fresno, California. (Department of Homeland Security)
DHS criticized California’s sanctuary policies after Kumar was later released from jail.
“This monster who almost killed a 4-year-old boy has been charged with a felonyhit-and-run,”DHS acting assistant secretary Lauren Bis said in a statement.
“Sanctuary politicians in California released this criminal illegal alien from jail back onto the streets,” she continued. “Thanks to the brave men and women of ICE law enforcement, this criminal illegal alien was arrested outside a criminal court.”
NEWSOM’S SANCTUARY POLICIES UNDER FIRE AFTER DRUNK ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT KILLS ELDERLY MAN
The Department of Homeland Security called on California Gov. Gavin Newsom to change the state’s sanctuary policies. (/Fred Greaves)
According to DHS, Kumar illegally entered the United States in 2023 and was later released under the Biden administration.
The department also pointed to a letter ICE Director Todd Lyons sent in February to California Attorney General Rob Bonta urging the state to honor ICE detainers involving more than 33,000 undocumented immigrants in custody across California.
“DHS is calling on Governor Gavin Newsom and his fellow California sanctuary politicians to stop putting American lives at risk by releasing criminals into our communities to commit more crimes and hurt more innocent people,” Bis said.
DHS said California’s failure to honor ICE detainers has resulted in the release of 4,561 undocumented immigrants with criminal charges or convictions since Jan. 20.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS P
The department said those individuals were accused of crimes including homicide, assault, burglary, drug offenses, weons offenses and sexual offenses.
Fox News Digital has reached out to Newsom’s office for comment.
-
Politics1 day agoTrump-critic Thomas Massie loses Kentucky primary to AIPAC-backed Gallrein
-
Entertainment3 days ago
Picturehouse Entertainment acquires UK rights to A Town In Nova Scotia
-
Entertainment3 days ago‘SNL’ Veteran Calls Out Elon Musk Over Lupita Nyong’o Remarks
-
Food4 days agoJuneteenth Foods: 23 Recipes for a Cookout Celebration
-
Tech4 days agoIf Your iPhone Battery’s Draining Faster After iOS 26.5, Don’t Panic
-
Tech3 days ago
Today's NYT Mini Crossword Answers for Monday, May 18
-
UsaLocalNews4 days agoBecky Hill’s ‘disgraceful’ comments and book ambitions unraveled Alex Murdaugh’s murder conviction: Docs
-
Entertainment4 days agoAdam Driver and Kenneth Lonergan Reunite For ‘Tomorrow Is a Drag’
