BBC News World
SpaceX will launch a larger Starship prototype on a test flight. Subscribe to this story to get unlimited access to exclusive content and ad free articles. The test is the 12th Starship flight, but it will be the first launch for the new, third-generation Starship dubbed V3, that’s bigger, stronger and closer to being fully recyclable. The rocket will launch from a brand new launchpad on the southern tip Texas at
during a launch period that begins at 6:30 pm. ET. SpaceX says that weather conditions for the flight are favorable to 55%. launch a new prototype of its Starship rocket SpaceX plans to start at proximately 5:45 pm. ET. NASA will closely monitor the test on Thursday because it hopes to use Starship for its astronauts to land on the surface of the moon. SpaceX and Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin each build lunar landers as part of the
, which NASA can use for its planned moon landing scheduled for 2028. The space agency hopes to test either one or both of the new vehicles on low-Earth orbit during the
later next year. Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX, will also be launching the largest initial public offering ever on Wednesday. Musk could become a trillionaire if he holds 85% voting power over SpaceX after the IPO. He will also remain the CEO, chairman and CTO.
took place seven months ago. Since then, both the upper stage of the rocket, called Ship, and its booster, Super Heavy, have been extensively redesigned. Starship V3 stands 408 feet tall when stacked. It is slightly taller than the predecessor. SpaceX has also added new engines to Super Heavy and Ship so that together they can generate 18 million pounds thrust. The number of “grid find” features on the booster were reduced, as they help guide the rocket’s initial stage back to Earth. Also, the propellant tank of the Starship was increased.
These new elements will enable a significant improvement in Starship’s cabilities. They aim to unlock its core functions including rid and full reuse, propellant transfer in space, the deployment of Starlink satellites, orbital data centres, and the cability to send people and cargo on the Moon and Mars. Starship’s Thursday suborbital test will attempt to deploy 22 fake Starlink satellites. SpaceX also plans to try and relight in space one of the six Rtor rocket engines on the upper stages. This will be important for the deorbit burns that the vehicle will perform when it returns to Earth. SpaceX’s Starbase facility It is estimated that the test flight will last 65 minutes. As with previous flights, the upper-stage should splash into the Indian Ocean after the mission. SpaceX will eventually “catch” Ship with mechanical arms mounted on its launch tower in South Texas.
SpaceX demonstrated similar catch maneuvers on previous test flight with Starship’s Super Heavy boost. The booster will now land in the Gulf of Mexico, and broadcast the event live it won’t try to return back to the Texas Launch Site for a cture. Starship development is on a very tight schedule. The rocket’s first flight was in 2023. Last year it suffered several failures including an
at the time of acceleration for upper-stage vehicles into space. SpaceX wants to be ready for the Artemis III mission next year, when NASA hopes that the rocket’s upper stages will rendezvous in orbit with its own Orion csule. (The vehicle that took the Artemis II astronauts round the moon). If everything goes smoothly, SpaceX’s goal is to have Starship ready to take NASA astronauts around the moon by 2028. the agency’s Artemis program
BBC News World
Please Please
Judge dismisses criminal case against Newport News assistant principal Ebony Parker
-
03:55
SpaceX plans for a record-breaking IPO
05:18
-
Florida Rep. Diaz-Balart says Castro indictment brings justice to 4 killed Cuban Americans
08:46
-
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche says Castro indictment is ‘big step forward’
08:07
-
Harvard faculty votes to make it harder for undergrads to earn A’s
02:36
-
California burglary ring bust
01:29
-
Graduation ceremony disrupted by AI name-reading system
00:34
-
Jan. 6 officers sue over Justice Department’s $1.8 billion ‘anti-weonization’ fund
03:57
-
Mother of victim says Raul Castro is ‘not going to get away with it’
04:45
-
Blanche faces questions over how Castro will stand trial in the U.S.
02:19
-
How the Raul Castro indictment compares to the case against Nicolas Maduro
05:10
-
Justice Department indicts former Cuban leader Raul Castro
05:34
-
Jones talks November face-off with Tuberville for Alabama governor
04:35
-
Massie concedes Kentucky House primary to Gallrein: ‘We’ve been honorable’
05:40
-
Woman dies after manhole fall
01:30
-
Americans exposed to hantavirus forced to quarantine
01:46
-
New details in deadly mosque attack
02:37
-
Teacher shot by student takes stand in Virginia
01:45
-
Investigators looking into manifesto left by San Diego shooting suspects
03:22
-
Investigation underway after small explosion near Pennsylvania polling location
01:49
-
Watch live coverage as National Institutes of Health Director Jay Bhattacharya testifies at a Senate propriations Subcommittee hearing. Justice
BBC News World
Travel to Memorial Day is snarled by storms that threaten flooding in Texas and the Northeast.
Memorial Day weekend travel will be disrupted as storms bring heavy rains, flash floods and travel delays to large areas of the United States. Subscribe to read the story without ads
Receive unlimited access to adfree articles and exclusive material. According to
, the storms had already affected air travel on Thursday morning. More than 1,000 flights were delayed in, out or into the United States, and nearly 290 were cancelled. LaGuardia Airport in New York advised travelers to prepare ahead of time after a
Gary Hershorn/ runways was closed Wednesday because of a sinkhole Residents of the mid-Atlantic region, the Southeast, and the Plains can expect rain and storms on Thursday. Some areas are at risk of flash flooding until the weekend. In parts of south and southeast Texas (including Galveston and Corpus Christi), where rainfalls may reach 2 to 4 inch per hour, a flood watch has been issued. Port Lavaca is one city that could see flooding. expected to reopen From the southern Plains down to the Mississippi Valley several rounds of rain will be expected over the weekend with totals ranging from 1 to 3 inches. Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Houston and Shreveport in Louisiana could experience flash flooding over the weekend. On Friday and on Saturday, storms and showers are predicted to move into the Ohio Valley and Northeast.
BBC News World
DOJ charges former federal prosecutor with sending herself confidential documents from
mishandled classifed documents. Subscribe to this story for free special counsel Jack Smith’s investigation of allegations that President Donald Trump and get unlimited access to exclusive content, adfree articles, and more. According to a nine-page indictment, Carmen Mercedes Lineberger (62), was charged with four charges related to stealing and concealing government records and property, and altering them. The Justice Department claims that Lineberger, while serving as a managing Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of Florida during last year’s period, received a confidential copy of Smith’s report. According to court documents, she altered the file names and sent other Justice Department material to her Hotmail account and Gmail account. According to court documents, Lineberger allegedly used file names such as “chocolate recipe” and “bundt recipe” from September to December to avoid raising any red flags regarding the downloaded files. Indictment doesn’t say Lineberger shared files with anyone. Lineberger peared in federal court in West Palm Beach on Wednesday. If she’s convicted of all the charges, she may face more than twenty years in prison. Lineberger’s lawyer declined to comment on NBC News. The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the Northern District of Florida, not a prosecutor at Lineberger’s previous workplace. According to the charges, Lineberger’s emails contained documents that were part of a report that a federal judge nominated by Trump ruled in February could not be made public. U.S. District judge Aileen Cannon ruled in February that Trump mishandled classified information after leaving the White House in 2020. Cannon argued Smith’s pointment was unconstitutional since Smith worked on the document after she said Wednesday July 2024. NBC News reported that in March, a Justice Department memo
stated Smith’s team had evidence Trump retained classified documents after he resigned from office. This included those related to Trump’s business interests.
BBC News World
Teacher’s Assistant at San Diego Mosque recalls bravery of San Diego students when gunmen knocked on doors.
San Diego — Like other schools in the U.S.A., the Islamic Center of San Diego wanted to prepare their students for a possible gunman breaking through its walls. Subscribe to this story to enjoy it ad free
Enjoy unlimited access to exclusive content and articles without ads. The teacher’s assistant at NBC News reported that when the “active shooter” exercises were tested, the students in a classroom followed the drills exactly. They “went right to work,” the assistant said. The assistant Imani who teaches 2nd and 3rd graders, and goes by her firstname, said that if the students had not followed through with their drills, it could have resulted in a different outcome. The authorities have confirmed that the three victims of the shooting at the largest mosque in San Diego County, as described on the website, were all standing outside. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said that no one inside the center, including the dozens of schoolchildren attending the centre at the time, was injured. Amin Abdullah fired shots at the teens who tried to enter a mosque. Wahl, a reporter at the time, said that Amin Abdullah used his radio to initiate a lockdown protocol. Taha Hassane is an imam from the mosque. She said that lockdown drills are practiced by the center multiple times each school year. Abdullah was with the mosque several years ago and knew the system which alerts teachers in classrooms of active shooters.
On Tuesday, police te was placed outside the Islamic Center of San Diego. Sandy Huffaker/ Wahl said Abdullah had “delayed and distracted” the shooters, preventing them from reaching the area of the mosque that contained up to 140 children. Imani recalls that she immediately looked to her colleague when she heard the shots. They both instantly knew what had hpened. She said, “We told them this was not a drill.” “There’s an active shooter and let’s get out.”
She explained that students followed the drills they had practiced, settling into a corner in the classroom and staying low so as to avoid windows. They also made sure all the doors and windows were closed and locked. She said the students remained quiet, even when they heard the shooters banging doors and trying open them. Imani told reporters that she was “proud” of the students and their bravery, and added: “They kept it together.” Michael Ho Wai Lee via . two armed teenagers stormed the mosque Monday Michael Ho Wai Lee/Anadolu.
Wahl says that some of the video footage from the mosque shows the gunmen moving around the rooms, but they were all empty. Wahl stated that the shooters found Mansour Kaziha, and Nader Adwad in the parking area outside and fatally killed them. Imani stated that each of these victims “worth more than 1000 men.” “They are why all 140 of us survived.”
According to authorities, the gunmen identified as Caleb Vazquez (18) and Cain Clark (17) are believed to have committed suicide after fleeing the mosque. Law enforcement officials said that authorities are investigating the motives of their
they may have posted online. The
antisemitic, anti-Islamic and antiLGBTQ views are attributed to accelerationism – a white supremacist ideologie that encourages violence in order to create a white ethnostate. Mark Remily, an FBI official who spoke to reporters on Tuesday, said that “these subjects didn’t discriminate based on whom they hated.” Morgan Chesky reported on the story from San Diego. Tim Stelloh covered it from Alameda.
BBC News World
Vanessa Trump announces breast cancer diagnosis
Vanessa Trump revealed that she has breast cancer on Wednesday. Subscribe to read the story without ads
Get unlimited, ad free access to exclusive content and articles.
Trump, 48,
. disclosed her diagnosis on Instagram I want to give you an update on my health. Recently, I was diagnosed with breast carcinoma. “While this is not news that anyone expected, I am working closely with my doctors on a plan of treatment,” she wrote. She added, “I’d like to thank my physicians for performing an operation on me earlier this week.” Trump said that she was “focused and optimistic” and surrounded with the support of her loved ones.
I am truly grateful for all of your kindness and support. I ask for privacy so that I can focus on my own health and recovery,” concluded Vanessa Trump.
Vanessa Trump, the eldest daughter of President Donald Trump, was married to Donald Trump Jr. from 2005 to 2018. The couple has five children. She is currently dating golf legend,
. Ivanka Trump is Vanessa’s sister-in law and she sent well wishes to Vanessa, saying: “Praying you continued strength and quick recovery.” Love you mama.”
-
Politics1 day agoTrump-critic Thomas Massie loses Kentucky primary to AIPAC-backed Gallrein
-
Entertainment4 days ago‘SNL’ Veteran Calls Out Elon Musk Over Lupita Nyong’o Remarks
-
Entertainment4 days ago
Picturehouse Entertainment acquires UK rights to A Town In Nova Scotia
-
Food4 days agoJuneteenth Foods: 23 Recipes for a Cookout Celebration
-
Tech5 days agoIf Your iPhone Battery’s Draining Faster After iOS 26.5, Don’t Panic
-
Tech4 days ago
Today's NYT Mini Crossword Answers for Monday, May 18
-
Entertainment4 days agoAdam Driver and Kenneth Lonergan Reunite For ‘Tomorrow Is a Drag’
-
Entertainment5 days agoRandy Jackson Sparks Health Concerns After TV Appearance
