BBC News World
The World Health Organization announced Friday that a 12th case of hantavirus has been confirmed following a positive test by a member of the crew on a cruise ship. Subscribe to this story to enjoy it ad free
Enjoy unlimited access to exclusive articles and ad free content. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated at a recent press conference that the Netherlands has confirmed an additional case. He also said that a crew member who disembarked from the plane in Tenerife was then repatriated back to the Netherlands. Tedros continued to say that the WHO continues to urge all affected countries, to closely monitor all passengers and staff for the rest of the quarantine. The incubation time for hantavirus can be up to six weeks. He said that there are 12 cases reported and 3 deaths reported. No new deaths have occurred since May 2 when the outbreak first was reported to WHO. The MV Hondius was docked in Rotterdam on Wednesday. Nicolas Economou/ NurPhoto via “I want to thank again the many countries for their cooperation in the response, and the epidemiological investigations,” Tedros said. Oceanwide Expeditions said that twenty crew members and two members of the medical staff were the MV Hondius cruise ship, which arrived in the Netherlands last week for disinfection, tested positive, . The majority of passengers are
, including 18 Americans.
On ril 1, the cruise left the Antarctic city Ushuaia, in southern Argentina. It carried almost 150 passengers on a nature-sightseeing excursion that visited some of the most remote islands in the world. Oceanwide Expeditions stated in a Tuesday
that “indications are strong that the virus was not introduced from the vessel and that it originated prior to embarkation.” The WHO is investigating the origin of the virus. It is believed that the person who contracted the disease first may have been exposed rodents while on a bird watching expedition. Officials say that those infected are carrying the Andes strain of the virus, which is easily transmitted. In a press conference held on Friday, WHO spoke about the
, which has almost 750 suspected infections and 177 suspect deaths. Tedros stated that the outbreak was “spreading ridly”. He revised the risk assessment to “very high” at the national and regional levels, and “low” at the global. “But, we know the DRC epidemic is much bigger,” he said. He was an American who unknowingly contracted Ebola while operating on another patient before the outbreak had been detected. His wife and his four children were also flown into Germany to be treated. In Uganda, there are two confirmed cases of cholera and one death after travelers from Congo arrived.
BBC News World
Police ask witnesses to come forward for Prince Andrew investigation.
LONDON – British police asked witnesses to come forward as they continue to investigate potential crimes by former employees. Subscribe now to read this article ad free. Prince Andrew Get access to exclusive content and articles without ads. The police said that they wanted to speak to a female witness as part of their “assessment” of reports that in 2010, a woman had been taken to a Windsor address for sexual purposes. Thames Valley Police Jeffrey Epstein.
confirmed that they have spoken to the woman’s lawyer to ensure she is protected and respected in her right to privacy. According to British police convention, Mountbatten Windsor was not named in the statement. However, he could be identified by the details provided. Florida attorney Brad Edwards told the BBC that in January he represented the woman who claimed she had a sex with the former prince Andrew in his Windsor home after being trafficked by Epstein. Mountbatten Windsor
has strongly denied all wrongdoing. He has also expressed regret about his long-term friendship with Epstein. This friendship continued even after Epstein was convicted in 2008 of soliciting a prostitute from a child. Virginia Giuffre, then Roberts (with Prince Andrew) and Ghislaine Maxiwell. Virginia Roberts Giuffre was one of Epstein’s accusers. She claimed she was forced by Epstein to have several sex sessions with Prince Andrew when she was only 17 years old. He denied the allegations. He ultimately settled the case, for an amount that was not disclosed. Giuffre was acknowledged as a victim. Police
King Charles III’s younger brother his arrest in February.
told 010001010
. In February, the police announced that they were looking into allegations made by the U.K. Epstein as a trade envoy for
. Epstein was charged with multiple sex trafficking offenses in July 2019, stemming from incidents that occurred between 2002 and 2005. He was found dead in his cell in August 2019 by suicide. Federal investigators concluded in 2023 that the death of the man was due to misconduct, negligence, and errors on the part of staff at the Metropolitan Correctional Center. Mountbatten Windsor was interviewed in January 2010 on suspicion of misconduct by a public official following the U.S. release of FBI Epstein documents. In the course of this investigation, police searched two homes in Berkshire – about 50 miles from London – and Norfolk – just over 100 mile northeast of Britain’s Cital. Andrew has lived in both locations. former Prince Andrew shared confidential documents with The police said that they were talking to a number witnesses, but couldn’t confirm or disprove their identities. They also urged others with information about the case to come forward.
They added that after Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest in February, they had been working with the U.S. Department of Justice to get further information related to the investigation. A photo of Jeffrey Epstein, released in 2025 by the Department of Justice. Justice Department was arrested In a Friday statement, Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright stated that “our team of highly experienced detectives is working meticulously to go through the significant amount of data received from both public and private sources.” He said: “We will conduct a thorough investigation of all reasonable lines, no matter where they lead.” The police statement followed a British government document that said Mountbatten Windsor was not vetted by British officials before she was pointed to be the U.K.’s trade ambassador in 2001. The former Prince Andrew and Britain’s King Charles III in London, 2022. Patrick van Katwijk/ file. as young as 14 Charles stripped his brother of royal titles after the scandal over his ties with Epstein brought shame to the royal family. The Crown Estate also ordered the former Prince Andrew to leave the Royal Lodge. Buckingham Palace stated at the time, “Censures were deemed necessary despite the fact that Prince Andrew continues to deny allegations against him.”
BBC News World
Ken Martin’s DNC Chair is under increasing pressure as questions are raised about his handling of the 2024 autopsy. Subscribe to this story to enjoy it without ads
Enjoy unlimited access to exclusive articles and ad free content. The release of the report did not quell speculation about the findings or the outrage that Martin had initially caused by his insistence on keeping the information secret. Instead, it exacerbated a long-running public relations and managerial nightmare. Martin, who for months refused to reveal the findings of the autopsy but said the DNC had learned important lessons, told a completely different story on Thursday. He claimed the report was incomplete and that he would not support it. The document that was released contained annotations from the DNC refuting different assertions. According to two sources who have knowledge of the internal discussions, donors are now doubting whether or not they can trust DNC with their funds. Martin spent part the day with them on the phone, talking through his decisions. Progressive groups have expressed their dismay that the DNC report, which was released on Thursday but did not include Gaza, even though officials interviewed pro-Palestinian group members. Martin’s critics now call for him to step down. Steve Schale, an experienced Democratic strategist, described the events unfolding as “an unmitigated s—show”. “There is no confidence in DNC’s competence.” release an autopsy report Schale asked if DNC members were going to do anything. It is not possible for party members of remove a DNC Chair. Members can vote in a motion of no confidence. Martin, in a Thursday staff meeting, indirectly addressed the issue of pressure to step down. A person who was present at the staff call said that Martin stated, “This was a serious mistake.” “I’m responsible for it and it’s now time to move on at the DNC. I hope you’ll go forward with me.” Martin asked a friend he has known for over two decades to write the report. Rivera, who was unavailable for comment, did not receive any payment to complete the report. Martin told
that the DNC did not receive any source material as a result of Rivera’s analysis. Person
who was present at the time said the DNC requested, but did not receive, a list with names of those interviewed. They also stated that despite repeated requests, the DNC never received the transcripts or notes from the interviews. Before the release
Despite Martin’s constantly changing public narrative about the autopsy and the DNC’s chair’s behind the scenes interactions with Rivera, some of the explanations were not true. Two sources claim that Rivera attended senior-level meetings of the committee and spoke to Martin within the DNC office in the months following Martin’s December decision. The DNC has not commented on Rivera’s continuing involvement. It also did not answer when they cut ties. Martin informed DNC members that Rivera is no longer involved with the DNC. Rivera gave a presentation on the findings of the report. There was no indication, according to those who were present at the event, that the report wouldn’t be released. A source familiar with the situation claimed that Martin didn’t see the major sections of report until just before Christmas.
The changing positions on the autopsy brought even more intense skepticism among those seeking answers as to what role the Biden Administration and Vice-President Kamala Harris played in her electoral loss.
“The Party has a crisis of leadership.” I think that the base of the party is far more advanced than the leaders of the parties,” said Norm Norm Solomon, the co-founder of RootsAction who pushed for its release. “Part of the problem is that it’s easier for one leader to be changed than to change the culture within a party. People who knew what was best in private wouldn’t reveal it. They deferred the people in charge. They deferred to people at the top. Margaret DeReus in a press release said: “Ken Martin must make clear and unambiguous what the author of the report told us, that is that DNC officials analyzed their own data and found that Biden’s support for Israel would be a negative factor for Democrats by 2024.” Martin’s supporters say that while Beltway types, media and other elites are engrossed in the topic, average Americans don’t really care. Jaime Harrison, the former DNC Chair, expressed his regret on Thursday for the distraction and energy the report has caused in the DNC. He also criticized the people who have not used this energy to protest against the Supreme Court decision that weakens the Voting Act. Harrison told an interviewer on Thursday that “you go to Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi right now and ask people: ‘What’s on your list of top 10 priorities?’ I can assure you the DNC Report is not one of them.” Martin’s work was lauded by one donor in an interview with him on Thursday. She also expressed her confidence in his leadership.
What’s most important is that yes, 2024 was a close loss. “But the other side that isn’t as well known is that we overperform,” said Ursula Terrasi from Kansas City. In some unlikely districts, we’ve had amazing wins. So we are coordinating with him, he is coordinating and he helps the states. Vinod T., a DNC representative from North Carolina highlighted some of the key findings in the autopsy. Thomas stated that “the irony of the report is the fact that it validates what Ken had been saying about what we needed to do. Instead of investing in year-round organization and voter contact, they
spent too much on last-minute blitzes.” Constant pressure
This latest episode is the latest flashpoint in a DNC under constant pressure since Martin assumed the leadership almost 16 months ago.
Democrats gained ground in 2025 races across the nation and outperformed Republicans in special elections as Donald Trump’s proval ratings and voter frustration over the economy played into their hands. Martin’s tenure, however, has been marred by bad headlines. These include his spat within the party with Gen Z activist David Hogg, and the repeated questioning of the Republican National Committee’s huge cash advantage over Democrats – $124 million compared to $14 million at the end last month according to the latest campaign finance reports. DNC debt is greater than cash reserves. Martin has also been plagued by the debate over autopsy report. Martin, who was elected to lead the DNC as of February 2025, spoke just hours later about the importance of a
full-scale audit to determine what went wrong between 2024 and 201010. He then pledged that the report would be released to the public. Martin also criticized previous party leaders for failing to do so after their party’s loss in the 2016 presidential election.
There was a thorough post-election review conducted many years ago right after the ’16 election. This was never made public. It was a huge undertaking for the DNC, which cost a lot of money and time. But it wasn’t released to DNC Members. What hpened then, right? At the time, he asked: “Was it useful to do that?”
“Of Course it Will Be Released, Right? Martin said that the information would be made available to our members and we’d all need to learn. Then, in December last year, the party made a complete 180-degree turn. Martin, in a January 2010 statement, said that while the party has “completed a thorough review of 2024 and we are already putting learnings in motion”, this was done to keep Democrats focused on the future. A DNC official said to NBC News at the time that the review was based on hundreds of interviews and included specific lessons, as well as details about the ways the party could be more responsive to the concerns of voters. Martin or the official didn’t express any concerns in public about the report that they were holding. The chairman did not show any doubt in the report when he peared on the liberal podcast “Pod Save America” hosted by Obama’s campaign veterans late last month. Martin’s tone was different in his
letter, when he said that the report he received late last year wasn’t “ready for primetime”. He also wrote, “I’m not proud of this, as it doesn’t meet my standards and won’t meet you standards.” I do not support what is in the report or what was left out. In good faith, I couldn’t give it the DNC stamp of proval. Transparency is important. Today, I release the report in its entirety — unedited and unabridged, with annotations to claims that could not be verified. Devin Remiker is the chair of the Wisconsin Democratic Party. He told NBC News, that while he understands Martin’s criticisms of a “complete” report “filled with errors”, the whole situation was “dispointing”. The autopsy, he added, had been “dispointing in many ways.” Democrats missed the opportunity to conduct the thorough review of 2024, which so many people wanted. The report is not complete and contains many mistakes. For Democrats, it’s hard for them to determine what they can salvage from this work in order to improve future campaigns. Remiker added that the autopsy incident would not help. Remiker refused to say whether he trusted Martin to continue as chair, but he called on the party to remain united in this crucial election year. Remiker continued, “I do not spend my time thinking about whether Ken Martin should remain or resign.” “I am glad that he has released the autopsy. I hope he will use this as a point of reflection to help him find new ways to improve. As far as I’m aware, he will be the chair for the midterm elections and I want us all to succeed — him at the DNC and in states across the country and candidates running for office. We can’t do it unless we are united, if only we trust one another.
BBC News World
Suicides in ICE detention centers rise in past year as NBC News obtains 911 calls
Visit For Julia Julia
BBC News World
SpaceX scrubs Starship V3 rocket launch
Space Visit Astro Astro Stephen Space
BBC News World
Please Please
Judge dismisses criminal case against Newport News assistant principal Ebony Parker
-
03:55
SpaceX plans for a record-breaking IPO
05:18
-
Florida Rep. Diaz-Balart says Castro indictment brings justice to 4 killed Cuban Americans
08:46
-
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche says Castro indictment is ‘big step forward’
08:07
-
Harvard faculty votes to make it harder for undergrads to earn A’s
02:36
-
California burglary ring bust
01:29
-
Graduation ceremony disrupted by AI name-reading system
00:34
-
Jan. 6 officers sue over Justice Department’s $1.8 billion ‘anti-weonization’ fund
03:57
-
Mother of victim says Raul Castro is ‘not going to get away with it’
04:45
-
Blanche faces questions over how Castro will stand trial in the U.S.
02:19
-
How the Raul Castro indictment compares to the case against Nicolas Maduro
05:10
-
Justice Department indicts former Cuban leader Raul Castro
05:34
-
Jones talks November face-off with Tuberville for Alabama governor
04:35
-
Massie concedes Kentucky House primary to Gallrein: ‘We’ve been honorable’
05:40
-
Woman dies after manhole fall
01:30
-
Americans exposed to hantavirus forced to quarantine
01:46
-
New details in deadly mosque attack
02:37
-
Teacher shot by student takes stand in Virginia
01:45
-
Investigators looking into manifesto left by San Diego shooting suspects
03:22
-
Investigation underway after small explosion near Pennsylvania polling location
01:49
-
Watch live coverage as National Institutes of Health Director Jay Bhattacharya testifies at a Senate propriations Subcommittee hearing. Justice
-
Politics2 days agoTrump-critic Thomas Massie loses Kentucky primary to AIPAC-backed Gallrein
-
Entertainment4 days ago‘SNL’ Veteran Calls Out Elon Musk Over Lupita Nyong’o Remarks
-
Entertainment4 days ago
Picturehouse Entertainment acquires UK rights to A Town In Nova Scotia
-
Food5 days agoJuneteenth Foods: 23 Recipes for a Cookout Celebration
-
Tech5 days ago
Today's NYT Mini Crossword Answers for Monday, May 18
-
Entertainment5 days agoAdam Driver and Kenneth Lonergan Reunite For ‘Tomorrow Is a Drag’
-
India Top Stories Feeds4 days agoAsha Bhosle: Celebrities and fans pay tributes to legendary singer
-
Tech5 days agoIf Your iPhone Battery’s Draining Faster After iOS 26.5, Don’t Panic
